It's been over a year since I left the beauty blogging world - and I have experienced cataclysmic changes to my life since February 29, 2012! A brief timeline:
- My partner ended our 16 year relationship on Leap Day 2012, while we were at our house in Muscat, Oman. I spent the weekend with a blogger friend in Abu Dhabi (you know who you are - and thank you again!). Flew back to London shortly thereafter.
- Unfortunately, I changed roles at my company at nearly the same time - not ideal, but I ended up getting a very good performance review at the end of the year. More on that later.
- Tried to buy a flat in NW London while hanging onto the Muscat house. Unfortunately, the banks would not accept that I was liable for only 1/2 of the joint mortgage, so that was a no-go.
- Decided I needed a break and took one last European trip - to Venice, alone.
- Spent March, April, and May in a zombie-like state. My brother was so concerned that he came to stay with me for 10 days. He supported me with daily Google Hangouts before his visit.
- After talking with my brother and his wife, I decided to return to the U.S.
- Both the U.K. house and the Oman house were put on the market. An offer was received on the U.K. house in the Spring, but the deal did not close until September. Glad I'm never buying or selling a house in the U.K. again. The Oman house sale closed in early 2013. I now have a tiny mortgage.
- When my decision was made, I called the international movers, donated tons of stuff to charity and others. I called my boss and told him that I was going to stay in the U.S. for at least 90 days. He was extremely supportive. I called my old boss in Silicon Valley and asked him for a job in his organization. He hired me onto the U.S. payroll as of September 1, 2012.
- I arrived in Portland, Oregon on May 25, 2012 with two suitcases and a laptop bag. I spent the whole summer with my brother and his wife, and their late cat, working U.K. hours while I waited for my California job offer to be finalized.
- I bought a new car - a 2013 Kia Soul, in Oregon after I got the official U.S. job offer.
- On August 26, 2012, I drove down to San Jose, California to stay with my old friend from Adobe, who I've known since 1995. She and her husband put me up in their guest bedroom until I could buy a place. I started my U.S. Job on September 2, just after Labor Day 2012.
- I found a beautiful two bedroom condo in downtown San Jose and moved in in October.
- I adopted two rescue kittens, Heidi and Meg, who have been a source of delight and comfort!
- I visited Japan for the second time in November, 2012.
- I visited Vancouver, B.C. in December 2012.
- I am now working on my second assignment as an IT Program Manager for my company, and am very happy with my role.
- On-line dating sucks, but that merits an entire post - more about that later...
- I am grateful for the kindness and support that I've received from my friends, family and the international blogging community - and my ex-partner's family too!
This blog will be quite different - it's going to be more of a lifestyle blog, rather than strictly a beauty blog. Sure, I will have beauty-related posts, but that will not be major focus of my new blog.
I am glad to be back!!